Place:


Halfway  Carmarthenshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Halfway like this:

HALFWAY, a place on the W border of Breconshire; on the road from Brecon to Llandovery, under MynyddBwlch-y-groes, 5 miles ESE of Llandovery. A small obelisk here commemorates an upset of the mail coach over a declivity of 130 feet, resulting in the destruction of the coach, without injury to the coachman or the passengers. The rocks in the vicinity are interesting to geologists.

Additional information about this locality is available for Myddfai

Halfway through time

Halfway is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Halfway itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Halfway in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25392

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Halfway ".