Place:


Helton  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Helton like this:

HELTON, a township in Askham parish, Westmoreland; on the river Lowther, 6 miles S of Penrith. Real property, £1, 647. Pop., 180. Houses, 38. The manor belonged formerly to the Morvilles, and belongs now to the Earl of Lonsdale. Helton Common has a Druidical circle, and another antiquity, called the Cope Stone.

Additional information about this locality is available for Askham

Helton through time

Helton is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Helton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Helton, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25379

Date accessed: 14th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Helton ".