Place:


Thatcham  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thatcham like this:

THATCHAM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Newbury district, Berks. The village stands near the Reading and Trowbridge railway, and the Kennet and Avon canal, 3 miles E of Newbury; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Newbury, and a r. station with telegraph.—The parish includes Greenham and Midgham tythings, and comprises 12,259 acres. ...


Real property, £21,841. Pop. in 1851, 4,293; in 1861, 4,129. Houses, 955. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £555.* Patron, the Rev. H. Martin. The church is partly Norman and early English, but chiefly later English; and was recently restored. The vicarage of Greenham and the vicarages of Midgham and Cold Ash are separate benefices. There are three dissenting chapels, a national school, an endowed school with £208 a year, alms houses with £95, and other charities £138. --The sub-district contains 4 parishes. Acres, 15,327. Pop., 5,226. Houses, 1,171.

Thatcham through time

Thatcham is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thatcham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thatcham in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2536

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thatcham ".