Place:


Lyford  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lyford like this:

LYFORD, a chapelry in West Hanney parish, Berks; on the river Ock, in Whitehorse vale, 2½ miles NNW of Wantage-Road r. station, and 4 N of Wantage. Post town, Wantage. Acres, 1,070. Real property, £1, 438. Pop., 149. Houses, 43. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £90. * Patron, Worcester College, Oxford. The church is good, and there are alms houses for 16 persons.

Lyford through time

Lyford is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lyford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lyford, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2530

Date accessed: 22nd August 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lyford ".