In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brathay like this:
BRATHAY, a chapelry in Hawkshead parish, Lancashire; on Brathay river and Windermere lake, 2 miles SW of Ambleside, and 7½ by road from Windermere r. station. Post Town, Ambleside, under Windermere. It was constituted in 1853. Pop., 212. Houses, 40. Brathay Hall is the seat of G. Redmayne, Esq. The scenery around Brathay-Bridge, taken in connexion with its perspectives, is surpassingly rich 'The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £142. Patron, G. Redmayne, Esq. The church is a recent erection, on a wooded knoll, in the neighbourhood of BrathayBridge.
Additional information about this locality is available for Hawkshead
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Brathay has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Lakeland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Brathay and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brathay, in South Lakeland and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th February 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Brathay".