Place:


Stonyhurst  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stonyhurst like this:

STONYHURST, a Roman Catholic college in Mitton parish, Lancashire; near the boundary with Yorkshire, 4 miles SW of Clitheroe. It was established in 1794; it includes the old seat of the Sherbonrnes, built in 1594-6; it has a new Tudor front, 300 feet long, built in 1810; and it comprises class-rooms, library, museum, and an adjoining church built in 1835.

Additional information about this locality is available for Great Mitton

Stonyhurst through time

Stonyhurst is now part of Ribble Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ribble Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stonyhurst itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stonyhurst, in Ribble Valley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25138

Date accessed: 16th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stonyhurst ".