Place:


Shaldon  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shaldon like this:

SHALDON, a village in St. Nicholas parish, Devon; under the Ness promontory, at the mouth of the river Teign, opposite Teignmouth. It is a sea-bathing resort, with a fine beach and romantic environs; and has a post-office under Teignmouth, three dissenting chapels, manyhandsome villas, and a large ship-building yard.

Additional information about this locality is available for St Nicholas

Shaldon through time

Shaldon is now part of Teignbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teignbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shaldon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shaldon, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25093

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shaldon ".