Place:


Newport  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newport like this:

NEWPORT, a hamlet in Middlesborough parish, N. R. Yorkshire; on the river Tees, at the boundary with Durham, and on the Stockton and Saltburn railway, 2 miles S W of Middlesborough. It has a station on the railway; and it transacts business in connexion with neighbouring collieries, iron-works, and potteries.

Additional information about this locality is available for Middlesbrough

Newport through time

Newport is now part of Middlesbrough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Middlesbrough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newport itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newport, in Middlesbrough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25079

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newport ".