Place:


Bleatarn  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bleatarn like this:

BLEA TARN, a hamlet and a lakelet in Warcop parish, Westmoreland. The hamlet lies on the E side of Patterdale, 6 miles NNE of Ambleside. The manor was given, in the time of Henry II., by John Tailbois, to Byland Abbey in Yorkshire; and a cell to that Abbey was built on it. The lakelet lies high, and sends a streamlet, jointly with that from Angle tarn, to the head of Ulleswater.

The information given by the Imperial Gazetteer about the hamlet would seem to relate to this location, but the information about the lakelet is clearly about a different location, possibly Blea Water in Mardale. Additional information about this locality is available for Warcop

Bleatarn through time

Bleatarn is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bleatarn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bleatarn, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24983

Date accessed: 18th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bleatarn ".