Place:


Clophill  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clophill like this:

CLOPHILL, a parish in Ampthill district, Beds; on the river Ivel, 3½ miles W of Shefford r. station, and 4 E of Ampthill. It has a post office under Ampthill. Acres, 2, 140. Real property, £4, 194. Pop., 1, 169. Houses, 244. There was anciently a small priory; and there are, at Castle hill or Cainhoe, traces of an ancient castle of the . Albinis. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £422.* Patron, Countess Cowper. Charities, £39. The church is a handsome edifice in the pointed style, built in 1848.

Clophill through time

Clophill is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clophill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clophill in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2498

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clophill ".