In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hurst Green like this:
HURST-GREEN, a village and a chapelry in Mitton parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the river Ribble and near the boundary with Yorkshire, 3 miles NW by N of Langho r. station, and 6½ N of Blackburn; and has a post office under Blackburn. Stonyhurst College is in the neighbourhood.The chapelry does not seem to have definite limits. Pop., about 1, 500. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, not reported.* Patrons, Five Trustees.
Additional information about this locality is available for Great Mitton
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hurst Green has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ribble Valley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hurst Green and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hurst Green, in Ribble Valley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hurst Green".