Place:


Hernhill  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hernhill like this:

HERNHILL, a village and a parish in Faversham district, Kent. The village stands 3 miles E of Faversham r. station, and has a post office under Faversham. The parish contains also the hamlets of Dargate, Staple street, Waterham, Cockham, Down Fostal, and Rough hill s. Acres, 2, 816. Real property, £7, 195. ...


Pop., 701. Houses, 138. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Archbishop of Canterbury. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £292. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower, and is good. Courtenay, the Canterbury fanatic, was buried in the churchyard. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Hernhill through time

Hernhill is now part of Swale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hernhill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hernhill, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2494

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hernhill ".