Place:


Old Penrith  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Old Penrith like this:

PENRITH (Old), a place in the S of Cumberland; on Watling-street and the river Petterril, 5 miles N by W of Penrith. It had a Roman station, thought variously to have been Patriana, Voreda, and Brementuracum; it retains vestiges of a camp of three acres; and it has yielded urns, inscriptions, an altar to Mars, and other Roman relics

Additional information about this locality is available for Plumpton Wall

Old Penrith through time

Old Penrith is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Old Penrith itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Old Penrith, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24919

Date accessed: 16th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Old Penrith ".