In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brayton like this:
BRAYTON, a village in Aspatria parish, Cumberland; adjacent to the Carlisle and-Maryport railway, 2 miles E by N of Aspatria. It has a station on the railway. Brayton Hall, in the vicinity, is the seat of Sir W. Lawson, Bart.
Additional information about this locality is available for Aspatria
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Brayton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Allerdale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Brayton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brayton, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Brayton".