Place:


Llanddowror  Carmarthenshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanddowror like this:

LLANDOWROR, a parish in the district and county of Carmarthen; near the river Taff, 3 miles SW of St. Clears r. station, and 3½ NW by N of Laugharne. Posttown, St. Clears. Acres, 1,783. Real property, £1,264. Pop. in 1851,403; in 1861,339. Houses, 75. The decrease of pop. was caused partly by the discontinuance of a large hotel. ...


The property is all in one estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £132.* Patron, Lord Milford. The church contains a monument to a former rector, G. Jones, by Mrs. Bevan, the foundress of the Welsh circulating schools; and it was reported in 1859 as bad.

Llanddowror through time

Llanddowror is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanddowror itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanddowror in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2483

Date accessed: 18th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanddowror ".