Place:


Battlefield  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Battlefield like this:

BATTLEFIELD, a parish and a subdistrict in the district of Atcham, Salop. The parish lies adjacent to the Crewe and Shrewsbury railway, 1½ mile S by E of Hadnall station, and 3 NNE of Shrewsbury. Post Town, Hadnall under Shrewsbury. Acres, 850. Rated property, £939. Pop., 81. Houses, 17. ...


The property is divided among a few. Here was fought the battle in 403, in which Harry Hotspur was slain, and Douglas captured. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £233. Patron,-A. W. Corbet, Esq The church was erected by Henry IV. to commemorate his victory over Hotspur; is chiefly perpendicular English; and was restored in 1861. A fair is held on 2 Aug.-The subdistrict comprises five parishes, two chapelries, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 11,554. Pop., 1,881. Houses, 395.

Battlefield through time

Battlefield is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Battlefield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Battlefield, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2482

Date accessed: 15th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Battlefield ".