Place:


Glenthorne  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Glenthorne like this:

GLENTHORNE, a romantic dell on the mutual border of Devon and Somerset; on the coast, 5 miles E of Lynton. Glenthorne House here is the seat of the Rev. W. S. Halliday; contains numerous curiosities; stands about 50 feet above the shore; and is engirt and over-hung by woods, which ascend acclivities to the height of 1, 100 feet.

Additional information about this locality is available for Oare

Glenthorne through time

Glenthorne is now part of West Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Glenthorne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Glenthorne, in West Somerset and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24790

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Glenthorne ".