Place:


Old Wives Lees  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Old Wives Lees like this:

OLD-WIVES-LEES, or Oldwoods-Lees, a place in the N E of Kent; 4¼ miles S W of Canterbury. Anannual race, on 19 May, by young maids and bachelors, was instituted here by Sir D. Digges of Chilham.

Additional information about this locality is available for Chilham

Old Wives Lees through time

Old Wives Lees is now part of Ashford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Old Wives Lees itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Old Wives Lees, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24656

Date accessed: 19th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Old Wives Lees ".