Place:


Pegwell  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pegwell like this:

PEGWELL, a hamlet in St. Lawrence parish, Kent; on a bay of its own name, 1 mile W S W of Ramsgate. The bay extends from Ramsgate to the vicinity of Sandwich; penetrates 2 miles westward, to the mouth of the river Stour; presents a large expanse of sands at lowwater; is famous for shrimps and lobsters; and was, near its head, the traditional landing-place of Hengist and Horsa and of St. Augustine. See Ebbs-Fleet and Lawrence ( St.).

Additional information about this locality is available for St Lawrence

Pegwell through time

Pegwell is now part of Thanet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Thanet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pegwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pegwell, in Thanet and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24641

Date accessed: 21st November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pegwell ".