Place:


The Wash  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described The Wash like this:

WASH (The), the estuary of the rivers Ouse, Nen, Welland, and Witham, in Norfolk and Lincoln. It has a width of about 15 miles a short distance below the influxes of the rivers; it contracts thence, over a distance of about 15 miles, to a width of 10 miles opposite Hunstanton; and it gradually expands thence, over a distance of about 4½ miles, to immergence in the North sea. ...


It is greatly choked with sands, or interspersed with large shoals; it includes deeper portions, called the Lynn deeps and the Boston deeps; it has intricate channels, with from 4 to 12 fathoms, buoyed; and, since 1850, it has been invaded by an extensive land reclamation, noticed in our article on Lynn.

The Wash through time

The Wash is now part of South Holland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Holland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about The Wash itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of The Wash, in South Holland and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24630

Date accessed: 14th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " The Wash ".