Place:


Murton  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Murton like this:

MURTON, a township and a chapelry in Appleby, St. Michael parish, Westmoreland. The township lieson an affluent of the river Eden, 3 miles E N E of Appleby r. station. Acres, 5, 766. Real property, with Hilton, £2,028; of which £193 are in mines, and £14 in quarries. Pop. of M. ...


alone, 218. Houses, 38. Murton Hall was formerly the seat of the Hiltons, and is now a farm-house. Much of the land is moor and mountain; and parts in the E rise into Murton Pike and Murton Fell. Lead mines are worked by the London Lead company. The chapelry is more extensive than the township. Pop., 471. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £99. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church was built in 1855. There are chapels for Wesleyans and United Free Methodists, and an endowed school with £7 a year.

Murton through time

Murton is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Murton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Murton, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2463

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Murton ".