Place:


Martindale  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Martindale like this:

MARTINDALE, a chapelry in Barton parish, Westmoreland; on the E side of Ulleswater, 8 ½ miles SW by S of Clifton r. station, and 10 SSW of Penrith. Posttown, Penrith. Acres, 8,060; of which 1,030 are water. R eal property, £1,476. Pop., 174. Houses, 39. The property is subdivided. ...


Part of the land is common, and much is moor and mountain 'T he main portion is a glen, Martind ale-proper, traversed by a streamlet 4¾ miles northward from Kidsty Pike to Ulles-water, at the W base of Hallin Fell; and this has a bare appearance, but contains a few scattered houses shaded by sycamores, and has, in its upper part, a hunting-box of the Hassels. A snmmit-point on its W flank, reached by a green footpath, commands a fine view over the lower reaches of tains. The living is a p. cnracy in the diocese of Carlisle. Valne, £87.* Patron, A. W. Clarke, Esq. The church is a low-roofed ancicnt edifice, with a bell-gable; and was restored in 1833. There is an endowed national school.

Martindale through time

Martindale is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Martindale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Martindale, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2460

Date accessed: 21st January 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Martindale ".