Place:


Hest Bank  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hest Bank like this:

HEST-BANK, a small watering place in Slyne-withHest township, Bolton-le-Sands parish, Lancashire; on Morecambe bay and the Lancaster and Kendal railway, adjacent to the Lancaster and Kendal canal, 3 miles N of Lancaster. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Lancaster; and it commands fine views over Morecambe bay, to the Furness mountains. The bay here is 11 miles wide; and, with the aid of a guide across its quicksands, is fordable at low water.

Additional information about this locality is available for Slyne

Hest Bank through time

Hest Bank is now part of Lancaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lancaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hest Bank itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hest Bank, in Lancaster and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24580

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hest Bank ".