Place:


Gowbarrow  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gowbarrow like this:

GOWBARROW PARK, a seat on the SE border of Cumberland; on Ulleswater, 10 miles SE of Keswick. It belonged to the Duke of Norfolk; and was bequeathed by him to his nephew, Henry Howard, Esq. The grounds around it are traversed by the Aira rivulet; contain Aira force and Lyulph's tower; possess many close scenes of great beauty; and have numerous points commanding magnificent views of the basin and mountain-screens of Ulles-water.

Additional information about this locality is available for Watermillock

Gowbarrow through time

Gowbarrow is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gowbarrow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gowbarrow, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24559

Date accessed: 10th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gowbarrow ".