Place:


Great Blencow  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Blencow like this:

BLENCOW (Great), a township in Dacre parish, Cumberland; 4½ miles WNW of Penrith. It has a station on the Cockermouth railway, and a post office under Penrith, both of the name of Blencow. Real property, £674. Pop., 99. Houses, 13. Here is a free-grammar school, with £191.

Additional information about this locality is available for Dacre

Great Blencow through time

Great Blencow is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Blencow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Blencow, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24533

Date accessed: 18th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Blencow ".