Place:


South Foreland  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Foreland like this:

FORELAND (South), a headland on the SE coast of Kent; 3 miles NE of Dover, and 4¼ SW of the S end of the Goodwin Sands. Two lighthouses are on it, erected in 1793-5, situated 1, 347 feet apart, E by S, and W by N, and showing fixed lights 380 and 275 feet high, visible at the distance of 25 and 22 miles.

Additional information about this locality is available for St Margarets At Cliffe

South Foreland through time

South Foreland is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Foreland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Foreland, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24511

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Foreland ".