Place:


Great Casterton  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Casterton like this:

CASTERTON (Great), or Bridge-Casterton, a parish in the district of Stamford and county of Rutland; on Ermine street and the river Gwash, near the Leicester and Peterborough railway, 2½ miles NW of Stamford. It has a post office, of the name of Great Casterton, under Stamford. Acres, 1,590. ...


Real property, £2,021. Pop., 323. Houses, 76. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Husseys, the Scroops, the Delawarrs, and others; and belongs now to the Marquis of Exeter. A Roman station, burnt by the Picts, is thought by some to have been here. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Pickworth, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £450. Patron, the Marquis of Exeter. The church was later English, but has been rebuilt. National schools were erected in 1861.

Great Casterton through time

Great Casterton is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Casterton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Casterton in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2450

Date accessed: 21st November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Casterton ".