Place:


Ashwell  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashwell like this:

ASHWELL, a parish in Oakham district, Rutland; on the Midland railway and an affluent of the river Wreak, near the Melton-Mowbray canal, 3½ miles N of Oakham. It has a station on the railway, and its Post Town is Oakham. Acres, 1,799. Real property, £3,081. Pop., 206. Houses, 48. The manor was known, in the Saxon times, as Exwell; belonged to Earl Harold; and passed, in the time of Edward III., to the Touchets, and after wards to others. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £401.* Patron, Viscount Downe. The church is a handsome edifice, with a tower; and contains three interesting altar-tombs.

Ashwell through time

Ashwell is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ashwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashwell in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2448

Date accessed: 17th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ashwell ".