Place:


Macclesfield Forest  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Macclesfield Forest like this:

MACCLESFIELD FOREST, a township-chapelry in Prestbury parish, Cheshire; on the backbone of England, contiguous to Derbyshire, 4 miles ESE of Macclesfield r. station. Post. town, Macclesfield. Acres, 4,000. Real property, £2,128. Pop., 242. Houses, 47. The property was formerly part of a royal forest, which included also the townships of Lyme-Handley, Hurdsfield, Kettleshulme, Rainow, Bollington, PottShrigley, Upton, Tytherington, Wincle, Sutton, Wildboarclough, and Bosley; but the property all belongs now to the Earl of Derby. ...


The surface generally is mountainous, bleak, and sterile. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £120.* Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church was built in 1673, and rebuilt in 1834. There is a licensed preachingroom at the Clough.

Additional information about this locality is available for Macclesfield

Macclesfield Forest through time

Macclesfield Forest is now part of Macclesfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Macclesfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Macclesfield Forest itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Macclesfield Forest, in Macclesfield and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24468

Date accessed: 19th January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Macclesfield Forest ".