Place:


Lawley  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lawley like this:

LAWLEY, a chapelry in Wellington parish, Salop; on the Wellington and Severn-Junction railway, 2½ miles SE of Wellington. It has a station, of the name of Lawley-Bank, on the railway; and its post town is Wellington, Salop. The statistics are returned with the parish. An eminence here is called Lawley Hill; and coal pits and sandstone quarries are adjacent to it. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £100. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church was built in 1865; is in the early English style; and contams 302 sittings.

Additional information about this locality is available for Wellington

Lawley through time

Lawley is now part of Telford and Wrekin district. Click here for graphs and data of how Telford and Wrekin has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lawley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lawley, in Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24453

Date accessed: 19th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lawley ".