Place:


Barkway  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barkway like this:

BARKWAY, a small own and a parish in Royston district, Herts. The town stands on a rising-ground, near the sources of the Quin river, 4½ miles SSE of Royston r. station. It has a post office‡ under Royston; was formerly a market town; has still a fair on 20 July; and, prior to the railway times, was a great thoroughfare on the northern road from London. ...


It consists principally of one street; and most of its houses are modern Pop., 940. Houses, 195. The parish includes also the hamlets of Newsells and Nuthampstead. Acres, 5,060. Real property, £7,057. Pop., 1,221. Houses, 251. The property is divided among a few. The manor be longed to the Chesters and the Jenningses The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Reed, in the diocese of Rochester. The church is an ancient structure, and was recently restored, and the tower rebuilt. There are an Independent chapel, a reading room, a national school, and charities £63.

Barkway through time

Barkway is now part of North Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barkway itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barkway in North Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2445

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barkway ".