In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Melplash like this:
MELPLASH, a tything in Netherbury parish, and a chapelry partly also in Poorstock parish, Dorset. The tything lies 2¼ miles SSE of Beaminster, and 2¼ NW of Poorstock r. station; and has a post office under Bridport. The chapelry was constituted in 1847. Pop. of the Netherbury portion, 422; of the Poorstock portion, 42. Houses, 89 and 10. The living is a Vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop, of Salisbury. There is also a good parochial school-house.
Additional information about this locality is available for Netherbury
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Melplash has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Melplash and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Melplash in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Melplash".