Place:


Wallington  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wallington like this:

WALLINGTON, a township, a chapelry, and a hundred, in Surrey. The township lies on the river Wandle and on the Epsom railway, 2½ miles WSW of Croydon; is supposed to have been a Roman station; has yielded many Roman relics; and contains a village and a r. station of its own name, a postal pillar-box under Carshalton, and Beddington-Corner post-office under Croydon. ...


Real property, £4,910. Pop., 983. Houses 195.—The chapelry includes the village, is in Beddington parish, and was constituted in 1867. Pop. in 1868, about 650. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, not reported.* Patron, N. Bridges, Esq. The church was built in 1867, and is in the early English style.-The hundred contains 12 parishes; and is cut into two divisions, firstandsecond. Acres, 23,581 and 14,825. Pop. in 1851, 22,343 and 11,607; in 1861, 46,686. Houses, 8,260.

Wallington through time

Wallington is now part of Sutton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sutton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wallington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wallington, in Sutton and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2438

Date accessed: 14th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wallington ".