Place:


Gwenddwr  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gwenddwr like this:

GWENDDWR, a parish in the districts of Brecknock and Builth, Breconshire; adjacent to the Mid Wales railway, and to the river Wye, 2 miles WNW of Erwood r. station, and 5½ SSE of Builth. It includes the hamlet of Trawsgoed; and its post town is Erwood, under Hereford. Acres, 8, 262. Real property, £2, 539; of which £10 are in fisheries. Pop., 528. Houses, 100. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, £123. Patron, Sir J. Bailey, Bart. The church is tolerable.

Gwenddwr through time

Gwenddwr is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gwenddwr itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gwenddwr, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2435

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gwenddwr ".