In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Countess Wear like this:
COUNTESS WEIR, a chapelry in Topsham parish, Devon: near the Yeovil and Exeter railway, 3 miles E by S of Exeter. It was constituted in 1844. Post town, Exeter. Pop., 508. Houses, 95. There are a few gentlemen's seats and a paper mill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £100. Patron, the Incumbent of Topsham. The church consists of nave and chancel, with a small hell-turret; and was built in 1838.
Additional information about this locality is available for Topsham
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Countess Wear has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Exeter. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Countess Wear and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Countess Wear, in Exeter and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Countess Wear".