Place:


Southleigh  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Southleigh like this:

LEIGH (SOUTH), a village and a parish in Honiton district, Devon. The village stands 3½ miles from the coast, 4¾ WSW of Colyton r. station, and 6 SSE of Honiton; and has a post office under Honiton. Acres, 2,579. Real property, £2,365. Pop., 331. Houses, 73. The manor, with about three-fourths of the land, belongs to Gordon, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £181. * Patron,Gordon, Esq. The church is ancient; and consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a tower. Charities, £9.

Southleigh through time

Southleigh is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Southleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Southleigh in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2422

Date accessed: 15th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Southleigh ".