Place:


Avenbury  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Avenbury like this:

AVENBURY, a parish in Bromyard district, Hereford; on the river Frome, 1½ mile SSE of Bromyard, and 7½ E of Dinmore r. station. It includes a detached tract, situated near Bridenbury; and its Post Town is Bromyard under Worcester. Acres, 3,233. Real property, £4,155. Pop., 371. Houses, 74. The property is divided among a few. Limestone occurs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £105.* Patron, John Freeman, Esq. The church is good. There was anciently a small priory. l

Avenbury through time

Avenbury is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Avenbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Avenbury in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2420

Date accessed: 22nd January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Avenbury ".