Place:


St Nicholas  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Nicholas like this:

NICHOLAS (St.), a parish in Newton-Abbot district, Devon; on the river Teign, at its mouth, opposite Teignmouth r. station, and 5½ miles E of Newton-Abbot. It contains the village of Shaldon, which has a post-office under Teignmouth; contains also part of Ringmore: is connected with Teignmouth by a bridge of 35 arches, and 1, 680 feet long, also by a ferry; runs out into the bold promontory called the Ness; has a fine beach, and many attractions to summer visitors; includes or commands much romantic scenery; contains many handsome villa-residences; is a resort of invalids and sea-bathers; and had formerly a large ship-building yard. ...


Acres, 790; of which 210 are water. Real property, £2, 510. Pop. in 1851, 1, 297; in 1861, 1, 148. Houses, 303. The decrease of pop. was caused by the removal of the ship-building trade to Teignmouth. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Lord Clifford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £125. Patron, Lord Clifford. The church was rebuilt about 1667 by the Carew family. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans, and a national school.

St Nicholas through time

St Nicholas is now part of Teignbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teignbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Nicholas itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Nicholas, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2418

Date accessed: 18th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Nicholas ".