Place:


Chantry  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chantry like this:

CHANTRY, a chapelry in Whatley, Great Elm, and Mells parishes, Somerset; near the East Somerset railway, 2 miles W of Frome. Post Town, Frome. The chapelry was constituted in 1846. Pop., 264. Houses, 49. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £90.* Patron, the Rev. J. Fussell. The church was built in 1846. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a girls' industrial and boarding school.

Additional information about this locality is available for Whatley

Chantry through time

Chantry is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chantry itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chantry, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24101

Date accessed: 20th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chantry ".