Place:


Marton  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marton like this:

MARTON, a chapelry in Chirbury parish, Salop; adjacent to the boundary with Wales, 3 miles E of Offa's dyke, 4½ EN E of Forden r. station, and 6 NE of Montgomery. Post town, Chirbury, Salop. Pop., 328. Houses, 72. The chapelry was constituted in 1859. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £45.* Patron, the Vicar of Chirbury.

Additional information about this locality is available for Chirbury

Marton through time

Marton is now part of South Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marton in South Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24091

Date accessed: 19th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marton ".