Place:


Membury  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Membury like this:

MEMBURY, a village and a parish in Axminster district, Devon. The village stands near the river Yarty, and near the boundary with Dorset, 3½ miles N by W of Axminster r. station; was anciently called Maimburgh; and has a post office under Chard, and a fair on the Wednesday after 9 Aug. The parish comprises 4,089 acres. ...


Real property, £5,337. Pop., 751. Houses, 1 36. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the Courtenays, and passed to the Drakes and others. Yarty, now a farm-house, was the seat of the Y arty family; Waterhouse, anciently called Waters, was the seat of the De la Water family; and both now belong to S. Newbery, Esq. Membury Castle is a well-preserved ancient British camp, of about 2 acres, on a hill. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of A minster, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is partly early English, partly decorated; was recently restored; comprises nave, transept, and chancel; and contains a fine monument to Sir S. Calmady. There are a national school, and charities £5.

Membury through time

Membury is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Membury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Membury in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2401

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Membury ".