Place:


Marwood  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marwood like this:

MARWOOD, a village and a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon. The village stands 3¼ miles NNW of Barnstaple r. station; was known, at Domesday, as Merewood; and has a post office under Barnstalple. The parish contains also the hamlets of Middle Marwood, Blakewell, Farleigh, Guineaford, Kings-Heanton, Mill town, Mudford, and Prixford. ...


Acres, 5,396. Real property, £5,383. Pop., 1,009. Houses, 209. The property is snbdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £635.* Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church stands in a tolerably central position; has a good chancel of the 13th century, and a fine tower of later date; and contains a beautiful font, some carved open seats, and a handsome screen of the time of Henry VIII. There are chapels for Independents and Methodists, an endowed school with £14 a year, and charities £18.

Marwood through time

Marwood is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marwood in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2400

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marwood ".