Place:


Hamsterley  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hamsterley like this:

HAMSTERLEY, a village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district in Anckland district, Durham. The village stands on a hill, near the river Bedburn, 2 miles SW of Witton-le-Wear r. station, and 6 W by N of Bishop-Anckland; and has a post office under Darlington. The chapelry is in Anckland-St. Andrew parish, and comprises 4, 003 acres. ...


Real property, £2, 883; of which £310 are in mines. Pop., 522. Houses, 117. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £96. * Patron, H. Chaytor, Esq. The church is ancient and cruciform, with a belfry. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £16.—The sub-district contains also five other townships of Anckland-St. Andrew, one of Brancepeth, one of Gainford, and the entire parish of Witton-le-Wear. Acres, 35, 758. Pop., 15, 613. Houses, 3, 041.

Hamsterley through time

Hamsterley is now part of Teesdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teesdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hamsterley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hamsterley, in Teesdale and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2399

Date accessed: 14th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hamsterley ".