Place:


Glanogwen  Caernarvonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Glanogwen like this:

GLANOGWEN, a chapelry in Llanllechid parish, Carnarvon; on the river Ogwen, under Carnedd-Davydd, 6 miles SSE of Bangor city and r. station. It was constituted in 1858; and its post town is Bethesda, under Bangor. Pop., 4, 264. Houses, 914. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Bangor. Value, £111.* Patron, Lord Penrhyn. The church is very good.

The location is that of Glanogwen church, in the middle of Bethesda which was the main settlement of the chapelry of Glanogwen. Additional information about this locality is available for Llanllechid

Glanogwen through time

Glanogwen is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Glanogwen itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Glanogwen, in Gwynedd and Caernarvonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23974

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Glanogwen ".