Place:


Huish  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Huish like this:

HUISH, a parish in Torrington district, Devon; on the river Torridge, 5 miles NNW of Hatherleigh, and 9 WSW of Eggesford r. station. It includes the hamlet of Newbridge; and its post town is Hatherleigh, North Devon. Acres, 986. Real property, £926. Pop., 171. Houses, 24. The property is divided between two. ...


The manor belongs to Lord Clinton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £194.* Patron, Lord Clinton. The church consists of nave and chancel, with a tower; and contains several handsome monuments. Saunders, the medical author who died in 1810, was a native.

Huish through time

Huish is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Huish itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Huish, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2394

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Huish ".