Place:


Harpford  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harpford like this:

HARPFORD, a village and a parish in Honiton district, Devon. The village stands in the valley of the Otter, 3 miles NW of Sidmouth, and 5½ S of Ottery-Road r. station; and was formerly called Happerford. The parish contains also the hamlets of Bowood, Southertown, and Burrow; and its post-town is Sidmouth. ...


Acres, 1,518. Real property, £2,168. Pop., 243. Houses, 54. The manor belongs to the trustees of Lord Rolle. Court House was the seat of the Dynbams, and is now a farm-house. Harpford Wood comprises about 400 acres. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Venn-Ottery, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £221. Patrons, Lord Colinton and others. The church is ancient, and consists of nave, chancel, N aisle, and S porch, with an embattled tower.

Harpford through time

Harpford is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harpford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harpford in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2391

Date accessed: 14th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harpford ".