In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coxley like this:
COXLEY, a tything and a chapelry in St. Cuthbert-Wells parish, Somerset. The tything lies 2¼ miles SW of Wells r. station, and has a post office under Wells, Somerset. Pop., 272. The chapelry was constituted in 1844; and is more extensive than the tything. Pop., 495. Houses, 106. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Wells. The church is good.
Additional information about this locality is available for Wells
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Coxley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mendip. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Coxley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coxley, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd July 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Coxley".