In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clandown like this:
CLAPTON, a tything and a chapelry in Midsomer-Norton parish, Somerset. The tything lies near the Radford canal, 7½ miles NNE of Shepton-Mallet town and r. station. Pop., 173. Houses, 27. The chapelry includes the tything, but is much more extensive; bears also the name of Clandown, and was constituted in 1849. Post town, Midsomer-Norton, under Bath. Pop., 1, 075. Houses, 206. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £18.* Patron, the Vicar of Midsomer-Norton.
Additional information about this locality is available for Midsomer Norton
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Clandown has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bath and North East Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Clandown and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clandown in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Clandown".