Place:


Harberton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harberton like this:

HARBERTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Totnes district, Devon. The village stands between the rivers Harburn and Dart, 2 miles SW of Totnes r. station; and has a post office designated Harberton, Devon. The parish contains also the hamlets of Harbertonford, Luscombe, Belsford, East Leigh, West Leigh, Little Englebourne, and Great Englebourne. ...


Acres, 5, 755. Real property, £9, 156. Pop., 1, 221. Houses, 270. The property is much divided. The manor belonged to the Valletorts, but was afterwards dismembered. There is a large edge tool manufactory. There was also a woollen factory; but a number of years ago it was converted into a corn mill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, 535. * Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is later English, and one of the most interesting in Devon; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel; and contains a handsome carved oak screen, and a richlycarved stone pulpit. The vicarage of Harbertonford is a separate benefice. There are two national schools, and charities £65.—The sub-district contains five parishes. Acres, 16, 452. Pop., 2, 575. Houses, 556.

Harberton through time

Harberton is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harberton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harberton, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2390

Date accessed: 22nd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harberton ".