In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wingerworth like this:
WINGERWORTH, a parish, with W. village and four hamlets, in Chesterfield district, Derby; 2¾ miles S by W of Chesterfield r. station. It has a post-office under Chesterfield. Acres, 2,906. Real property, £3,317; of which £88 are in quarries. Pop., 433. Houses, 88. The manor, with W. Hall, belongs to the Hon. F.G. Hunloke. W. Hall occupies the site of an ancient baronial mansion, which was garrisoned by the parliamentarians in 1643. Stubbing Court is the seat of T. H. Pedley, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £250. Patron, the Bishop of L. The church is good; and there are an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £9.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wingerworth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North East Derbyshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wingerworth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wingerworth in North East Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wingerworth".